Last night was exceptionally great for a Monday night because my dad was in town for business. He met me in my apartment at about 5:30 as I was wrapping up some emails, and we watched ESPN together and caught up on football; the Cleveland freakin Browns in particular. He had been at the game on Sunday but left before the worst QB in the league made one of the dumbest plays I've ever witnessed. I can't say it costed us the game -- that is a title that the defense holds -- but the play certainly dismantled any semblance of Cleveland hope. Had the Browns won vs. the Lions we'd be going into week seven with a 4-2 record. Anyways, we then ventured down to Wholefoods where I tried to convert my dad to these new protein bars I've been eating lately for snacks. They have pea protein instead of soy or whey, which is supposedly better for you. I have been listening to the Mike Dolce podcast while on the road lately, and it's making me try and eat more naturally-grown foods. This makes sense, as it doesn't take Marion Nestle to tell you that eating foods that are created in labs and can be shipped to the Afghani desert on a daily basis isn't all that good for you. Dolce's passion for healthy lifestyles borders on radical, but we certainly do need and deserve change. Foreigners who move to the US skinny are obese within 5 years...what does that tell us about our food climate? I heard Bill Burr do a bit the other day about having never seen a fat old person. He's seen old people that smoke, but he's never seen a fat old person, living. Think about it.
Anyways, back to my dad being in town. After we walked around Wholefoods and bought some Kombucha and healthy protein bars, we wen to this awesome restaurant near my apartment, Cava, and waited at the bar for Alex to show up. While we waited we enjoyed a delicious cocktail: an Old Fashioned made with Bulleit Rye Bourbon. When Alex arrived we moved to a table, and had an outstanding meal: Cava vegetables served with greek yogurt, street gyros, this crazy good fried chicken, and dessert was challah french toast. Conversation was fun but intense as Alex is in the phase of figuring out her professional career, so my dad gave her advice, while I mostly listened.
I'm going to remember to take pictures of things to share on this blog.
“Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.”—Steve Jobs
I need to read more,
Jordan
No comments:
Post a Comment