Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The reason I am writing a blog

My friend Eric just texted me that “Twitter kills anyone’s ability to read a book.”

After that, he responded to a quote I posted in my first blog entry. He quickly and to the best of my knowledge, brilliantly, stated: “1. The author is assuming a Patriot could only be of US origin 2. The US flag itself owns as much a “stain of slavery” as the Confederate flag and 3. The quote says ‘you can’t possible claim a sincere understanding of your country if you would have interest in breaking away from the Union.’ The US broke away from the British over taxes! They literally decided to self govern and said we don’t want to pay the taxes anymore. Had the South won, their history would have been no different than the 4th of July."

I agree with Eric on both counts. Twitter finds or frames the most compelling sentence in an article, and pushes it out to the masses to consume quickly. Quickly like how we consume our fast food. It's easier to watch the highlight reel. It's easier to read abridged versions of books (and now articles). But it's not, and will never be better. Those who take the road less traveled will come out on top in almost all circumstances. Those who grind -- who do what others aren't willing to do when they are not willing to do it -- become successful. As a lifelong member of the tribe known as wrestling, I firmly believe this. 

The reason I posted the quote that Eric referenced was that I was surprised its radical and strong rhetoric was printed in the Atlantic, a very prestigious magazine. I will be honest and say that I did not read the article -- but found the quote to be very powerful and thought-provoking. 

Part of the reason that I am taking to this blog is that I want to remember the really good times I have. But all too often my personality takes me from one thing to the next without ever sitting back and reflecting.  Is it my fault for not reflecting often enough?  Probably.  But does anyone ever think about our society and the effect it has on our memories? We consume media and data all day. A barrage of advertisements are constantly attacking the space in our brain that is not currently being consumed with Kardashians, twitter feeds, and those things we used to have back in the day… what are they called??? Oh – yeah, that’s right: THOUGHTS.  


So if I can take a few minutes and write down the good nights out with friends, dates with my girlfriend, thoughts, and ideas that move me -- maybe it will help me remember them better.  Because aren’t those the things we live for anyway?


No comments:

Post a Comment